Cov Music Scene.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Godiva Unsigned - Post your reviews/comments here

+10
Scottrillionaire
Jim
Dale Hermit
Sound Foundry
Ciaran
Sephiroth
Dan Searles
Kid Icarus
Rig
Admin
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Topic Re: Godiva Unsigned - Post your reviews/comments here

Post by Sephiroth Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:23 pm

Maybe a bit off topic but......

.....anyone know where I can get a T Shirt with a design like this?

Godiva Unsigned - Post your reviews/comments here - Page 2 2005836248301258318_rs
Sephiroth
Sephiroth
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dale Hermit Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:27 pm

have you tried www.covscene.co.uk?
Dale Hermit
Dale Hermit
Scene-ster
Scene-ster

http://www.kinghermit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Foundry Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:31 pm

Dale Hermit wrote:I was just stating our position.

I was being sarcastic bud

Hence the Very Happy

Very Happy

And you're right, those comments should not have been made, except in private and only if asked for. But things like that are the whole reason this place was set up.

Hopefully, if things need to change, we can collectively use this place to provide a sensible voice to bring about that change rather than the tragic comedy dictatorship that is covscene.

The important thing to bear in mind now, is that 4 of our local bands are going to be up there on Godiva's big stage - they all deserve it, they're all excellent acts in their own right and MORE than good enough to share the stage with the 'big guns'. The biggest tragedy of all of this is that we're not going to see more of our excellent local talent on a local stage.

And Rig, from what I've heard of you guys coming out of my rehearsal room, there's absolutely no question at all about you guys deserving it - excellent band and like Dan said, I can't wait to see/hear you blow all the 'top' bands away - thoroughly well deserved.

Last edited by Sound Foundry on Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sound Foundry
Sound Foundry
Admin
Admin

http://www.thesoundfoundry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Foundry Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:39 pm

Sound Foundry wrote:Hopefully, if things need to change, we can collectively use this place to provide a sensible voice to bring about that change

Sorry to quote myself here but I forgot to say that once the admin election has taken place and you have chosen your admin team, perhaps you can become INVOLVED in how next year's competition is put together? Or even get involved in getting a local stage on the go? Or even starting a new event to REPLACE Godiva's local stage - a new covstock style event specifically to celebrate local music talent?

We used to chip together before and get great events on the go so why not do it again?
Sound Foundry
Sound Foundry
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:10 am

Kid Icarus wrote:You'll have to literally spell it out, Cork, as I wasn't there.

It seems the G Factor route of playing Godiva causes more controversy than the old method of straight forward selection. I understand that this is deemed to be the fairest way to operate, but Christ on a bike, how much bitching does it create?!

There are bands on the local scene that know exactly how to play the game that are succeeding over bands that shun the whole process whom deserve to be playing the mainstage in their own right (Senses, Trailer, King Hermit anyone? Although the latter two did enter, I believe)

At the end of the day, from experience, I have palyed the mainstage with both my bands, and as much of a buzz as it is, I'd rather be there as a punter.

We are recording on G DAY anyhow, in a bucket of all places! Rolling Eyes
Jim
Jim
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Icarus Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:18 am

Judging by things I've read and the reactions by an increasing margin, there needs to be some serious changes made to certain aspects of G Factor's process for future events.
Kid Icarus
Kid Icarus
Scene-ster
Scene-ster

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Searles Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:31 am

Well from what I saw of the heats and the final, it couldn't be much fairer now. I think judges from outside of Cov with no affiliations to any local bands would be the only improvement that makes any sense. I have to say that I've read this suggestion made by others and that i didn't come up with it myself.

The final had an amazing atmosphere depite the Kasbah totally under preparing for it. I would be interested to hear who shunned Rig, becuase I for one couldn't imagine a nicer band than EE and its members.

EE's sound was brilliant on the day and they were well deserving of their place on the main stage. Only other band I saw all the way through was HbyH and they sounded really good, but had a few issues at the start.

My personal highlight was making some of the worst possible comments to my female friend and her thinking it was hilarious!
Dan Searles
Dan Searles
Scene-ster
Scene-ster

http://www.dansearles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:49 pm

cheers Screamo

no one shunned me mate as far as i'm aware, if they did i didn't notice so couldn't have been that bothered!

going on 1st meant we got a pretty long soundcheck which was an advantage

the downside was it was a long time til the voting and we worried voters may had forgotten our set as the quality of music was high all day

Rig
Scene-ster
Scene-ster

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Searles Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:13 pm

Rig wrote:highlights - qualifying
lowlights - queuing at the bar, shunned by a lot of people
congratulations - all the bands, sound engineers
commiserations - the bands who didn't qualify, i had my favourite 4.
compliments - the judges and audience Smile
complaints - underestimated the numbers in and should have held it in the main room with all the bars open. A lot of people missed bands cos they were trying to get a drink at the bar.

I enjoyed it immensely personally Very Happy
Sorry Rig, I thought this comment meant you were shunned by other bands, my mistake.
Dan Searles
Dan Searles
Scene-ster
Scene-ster

http://www.dansearles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:24 pm

ah, no, i meant a lot of great bands chose not to enter

Rig
Scene-ster
Scene-ster

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrillionaire Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:00 am

Sorry i've joined this covo late on,

i had a terrible time on the day, did the line check everything was fine then as soon as we started all you could hear was a terrible humming noise (which sounded like an earthing problem) i could have actually died on the stage there and then but fair play the rest of the guys for getting on with it and making the set listenable in the end. As much as i wanted to play godiva i really didn't want us to be undeserving winners (as such) and really wanted Reubens to go through as i thought they deserved to. My predictions were that the winners of the heats would be the winners in the final and i thought thats how it should have been of the day. We definately didn't have a good set but we got a lot of people down who would have voted for us even if our set was matt farting down a mic and in all fairness getting people there was the only way we were going to go through.

Scottrillionaire
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by raff Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:00 pm

Kid Icarus wrote:Judging by things I've read and the reactions by an increasing margin, there needs to be some serious changes made to certain aspects of G Factor's process for future events.

Mate, it happens ever year, it dont matter what system they use, BAD LOOSERS will moan and moan, thats all they are, and they then tarnish it for the overall deserved winners.

raff
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:40 pm

Scott Human wrote:Sorry i've joined this covo late on,

as soon as we started all you could hear was a terrible humming noise (which sounded like an earthing problem) i could have actually died on the stage there and then

thats the last time i do you fella's an intro!

Rig
Scene-ster
Scene-ster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:58 pm

What was CV One's answer to Cov bands having their own tent this year, think it was Rig's initial idea ?

Ray
Admin
Admin

http://www.zeuscomputing.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Foundry Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:27 pm

I think that's incredibly unfair Raff.

There have been no real complaints about the judges or their judging or the voting system used, which I think is actually a first - that's what usually causes the moans.

You say that 'bad losers' tarnish it for the deserved winners. I think the consensus here is that it is those who clearly cannot be trusted to behave as part of a FAIRLY judged event who tarnish it for the deserved winners.

Change that one particular aspect and I reckon they've cracked it.
Sound Foundry
Sound Foundry
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:27 pm

Ray - we looked into it, unfortunately due to licensing the stage and area had to be exactly the same as the previous year which made the costs mount up considerably from what we had in mind, with such a short space of time to secure funding we decided it was a no go. Had we had a bit longer to sort it i'm sure it would have been achievable, didn't help i was ill for a month and lost time there too

we tried though

fair play to CV One, they gave us a chance and took the suggestion seriously. would have been ace, we could have had the stage all weekend. could have done it and gone into debt to do it but with how the scene's been of late we thought better of it to be honest

Rig
Scene-ster
Scene-ster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Foundry Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:37 pm

Ray wrote:What was CV One's answer to Cov bands having their own tent this year, think it was Rig's initial idea ?

They said that they were keen to cooperate but any plan would have to basically conform to last year's spec for the local stage. Rig asked me, Myke and Dale to get involved in making up the plans and putting them into action and I approached CVOne about obtaining the spec for last year's local stage so that we could make a start in the ridiculously limited time we had.

We didn't receive this information in time (and haven't still) for us to put together a workable plan and so it became obvious that a local stage for this year was out.

Funding is a big issue as CVOne have no money for it and at such short notice this year, it would have virtually created a full time job, which I don't have the time for - not to mention the risk of another heart attack!! Very Happy
Sound Foundry
Sound Foundry
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:42 pm

Maybe something for next year instead then, I wonder if BBC Introducing would get involved

Ray
Admin
Admin

http://www.zeuscomputing.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Foundry Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:16 pm

Rig wrote:could have done it and gone into debt to do it but with how the scene's been of late we thought better of it to be honest

Yes. All the bitching, back biting and stirring does kind of make you think it's all pointless. But hopefully by next year things will have changed.

I'm still all for the idea of doing our own event which exclusively celebrates local music. We're thinking about another Covstock type event like the one we did in 2007 in the Oak car park. That had more people there than any Godiva local tent has ever had and it was ALL local acts. It was put together on a shoestring compared to last year's one but was for me more enjoyable to organise
Sound Foundry
Sound Foundry
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WOLVES Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:28 pm

I just think its a massive shame they've done away with the spotlight tent. The friday night headline slot was definitely the better gig for us. Shame i'm going back to the first rung on the ladder again.

WOLVES
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Foundry Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:30 pm

I think that's the real shame of all of this you know. No matter what happened, what controversies were boiling away behind the scenes, etc, seeing some of the best bands this whole area had absolutely shining on that stage was something pretty damn special.

I always felt I wasn't that interested in seeing all the 'big signed bands' after that - they weren't really any better than our locals as far as I was concerned.

What band you in?
Sound Foundry
Sound Foundry
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sephiroth Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:07 am

I loved the Friday night local band tent. It was the highlight of the festival every year. I can't help but think the Friday night will suffer without it, in terms of attendance.
Sephiroth
Sephiroth
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dale Hermit Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:09 am

two words, comedy tent.
Dale Hermit
Dale Hermit
Scene-ster
Scene-ster

http://www.kinghermit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrillionaire Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:00 am

Rig wrote:
Scott Human wrote:Sorry i've joined this covo late on,

as soon as we started all you could hear was a terrible humming noise (which sounded like an earthing problem) i could have actually died on the stage there and then

thats the last time i do you fella's an intro!

YOU SAP! the intro was fine mate!! the humming that we need! Might need a new one for Godiva, you up for it mate?

Scottrillionaire
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:57 am

yeah, it was a poor joke

just switch your pedal board on mate, it made the same rumbling noise! Laughing

might be able to fit something in, give me a bell or come speak down the kasbah tonight when we play with The Pockets (plug)

Rig
Scene-ster
Scene-ster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next