Cov Music Scene.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Definitions of unacceptable promoter behaviour

+6
Smokey
Martin
Sound Foundry
Daswikinger
Mithy DLR
Admin
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Topic Re: Definitions of unacceptable promoter behaviour

Post by Martin Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:33 pm

That kinda sums us up - payment is hardly ever part of arrangements we make to play. I suppose because we're all working (bar one dirty student!), it's not high on our agenda. That's just the way it's been for us so far, and as we get free rehearsal space and recording facilities we don't have much outlay either.

But, as mentioned, I would always pay bands when I'm promoting - strange double standard eh?
Martin
Martin
Groupie
Groupie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Foundry Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:06 pm

Martin - The Red List wrote:

But, as mentioned, I would always pay bands when I'm promoting - strange double standard eh?

No, Martin - it's called keeping your soul even if others don't Very Happy

It's hard to get the general public in to see original bands because 9 times out of 10 they don't know about it - as I've said far too many times before, too many promoters are just targeting the section of the public who are likely to turn out for one gig or another anyway. My experience has been that when you put original bands in front of the general public, they absolutely love it. The trick is to get the word out to them in a way that is going to spur their interest and the best way to do this is via the PR route rather than advertising.

OR

take the mountain to Mohammed as they say - take the music out into the community pubs where the general public are and put it right in front of their faces - you'll be amazed by their enthusiasm.

No band has a RIGHT to an audience - sometimes you got to go out and chase it instead of sitting back in the same city centre venues waiting for the audience to come to you.

Take the word to the streets brothers

Very Happy
Sound Foundry
Sound Foundry
Admin
Admin

http://www.thesoundfoundry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Martin Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:37 pm

Cheers, some good points made there.
Martin
Martin
Groupie
Groupie

Back to top Go down

Post by Daswikinger Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:42 pm

I would like to open the discussion referring to what I personally consider as another unacceptable form of behavior for promoters.

Why do promoters always seem to slam every venue except their own. I myself would never slam another venue regardless of the crappy sound/illegal beer/poor location/aggressive doorstaff/ignorant barstaff.

As we've just seen with the Tuns.....never slam another venue, you never know when you may be looking for work.

Daswikinger
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mithy DLR Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:44 pm

When has this occured with Tuns then?
and just on the off chance is this is aimed at me?
Mithy DLR
Mithy DLR
Groupie
Groupie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Foundry Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:10 pm

I have to say, I never heard the Tuns slamming any other venue, but broadly speaking I do agree with your point.

However, venues very often do get it very very wrong and can themselves be their own promoter's biggest liability. Honest criticisms can, and should be seen as, an invaluable tool for any promoter worth his salt. Malicious crap should be treated as just that.

Problem is, most promoters are so absolutely convinced that they know absolutely everything about what it is to be a good promoter, that they won't listen to any honest criticisms, and so remain mediocre promoters in mediocre venues. And let's face it, a trained chimp can put on a few bands. Making a successful venue is a whole different ball game.

So, while I do agree to a degree, I have to also disagree if you get my meaning? Fair point of view though.
Sound Foundry
Sound Foundry
Admin
Admin

http://www.thesoundfoundry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Daswikinger Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:21 am

I was not referring to the Tuns as slamming another venue, I just used it as an example....when we started promoting our venue (at that point not revealing the location), we did get some shite off a couple of promoter/DJ's who were working at the Tuns....hence the reference. (as it happens, one of them is now working for us!)

The other points I made (crappy sound/illegal beer/poor location/aggressive doorstaff/ignorant barstaff) was actually referring to a number of other venues, who's names I will keep to myself.

With your comments Mithy, the only thing you brought up about the venue itself was the quality of the Carling...which, as you know, has been resolved. Obviously, the issues regarding our promotion techniques is not for this board but continued on the Gigs board....if you lot can stop talking about my fiance's bust!

Daswikinger
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mithy DLR Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:48 am

Good stuff, tho Martin was the bust man Wink
Mithy DLR
Mithy DLR
Groupie
Groupie

Back to top Go down

Post by PurpleLoz Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:32 am

Yes he was! Mithy! A very rude bust man indeed! Lol!
PurpleLoz
PurpleLoz
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Martin Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:40 pm

Mithy DLR wrote:Good stuff, tho Martin was the bust man Wink

Always have been mate!
Martin
Martin
Groupie