Cov Music Scene.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phoenix - "Engine" Sunday 14th November all dayer.

+3
Bratby
Rob - The Kontours
Stevo
7 posters

Go down

Topic Phoenix - "Engine" Sunday 14th November all dayer.

Post by Stevo Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:10 am

I'm surprised nobody connected with the event has posted anything about this up here, so I shall:

"ENGINE"

Phoenix - opposite arts block, Jordan Well.

9 acoustic artists and 9 bands + DJ Hank McSpank.

Raising money for Asthma research.

Line up :-

ACOUSTIC
Rod Felton 12.30 - 12.50
Si Holden 12.55 - 13.15
Crocodile Tears 13.20 - 13.40
Dominic 13.45 - 14.05
The Prospectors 14.10 - 14.30
Clive and Matt 14.35 - 14.55
Jimmy Jimmy 15.00 - 15.20
Ryan Fisher 15.25 - 15.45
Huffy 15.50 - 16.10

BANDS
Rubens Caine 16.00 - 16.45
Blues to go 17.00 - 17.45
The Roches 18.00 - 18.45
DJF Punk DuB 19.00 - 19.45
Old No 7 Band 20.00 - 20.45
Joe Beal Blues Band 21.00 - 21.45
Kifaru 22.00 - 22.45
Embers Rising 23.00 - 23.45
Nukebox 00.00 - 00.45

Admission for the acoustic artists is free, tickets for the bands are available at £5 and are available @ the PHOENIX, Coventry University and "Picks and Sticks".

*PA supplied by "Picks and Sticks", DJ and Compare "Chameleon".

Last edited by Stevo on Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Stevo
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Topic Re: Phoenix - "Engine" Sunday 14th November all dayer.

Post by Stevo Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:13 am

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=104427749622802

Stevo
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevo Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:10 pm

Tonight folks.............

Stevo
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevo Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:08 am

Reubens Cane, The Roches, From Embers Rise & Nukebox never even bothered turning up for this well attended gig. And we bemoan the lack of gigs in this city?

Stevo
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob - The Kontours Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:30 am

as i understand ruebens cane are no more...or inbetween band members at least...shame that other bands, who are ready and waiting to gig miss out the opportunity to play. Maybe communication breakdown with promotors??

Rob - The Kontours
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevo Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:58 am

From what I can gather From Embers Rise & Nukebox objected to their timeslots, but as they asked to join an already estabilished bill, what could they expect other than to be tagged on the end? . Lets face it, some of these bands had agreed to play on this bill in January so it wouldn't be fair to them to be shunted about at the last minute. I was told Reubens Cane objected a couple of weeks ago to being the first band on also .

Lets remember this was a benefit for Asthma Research in memory of Ian McAllister from the Beer Engine, not a showcase for some petulant wanna be rockstars. The bands that did appear all knew Ian personally so I think it was a fitting tribute anyway.

Stevo
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevo Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:01 am

The comments on the following page doesn't help really does it? You wanna bitch don't do it on the event page......
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=104427749622802

Stevo
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob - The Kontours Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:06 am

ahh bless um...gotta get up for work in the morning...thats what i call rock and roll!!!
My under the wing band The Kontours are 14 and 15 and ive got them gigging all over and guess what...theyve got skool in the morning...now thats rock and roll
Im sure having known Ian, he would have been made up with the weekends tributes and the money raised for such a good cause....RIP Ian mate

Rob - The Kontours
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bratby Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:47 am

Eh what the hell? ERm STeve were you the promoter to this? Who bookef Reubens Cane for this gig because we spilt about two months ago,my friend gonk mention something about out name being on a poster and said he would let the promoter know about us spliting as he is friends with him. Literally not heard anything about this till Friday just gone so have no idea who confirmed us to play this also not having a dig at whoever set this up but surely we never confirmed this.
Not kicking off just don't want us bad mouthed for something we ain't done wrong like.....
Bratby
Bratby
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

http://bratby.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bratby Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:54 am

Stevo wrote:I was told Reubens Cane objected a couple of weeks ago to being the first band on also .

soooo where the fuck did you hear this seeing as we've split and I've checked our email/myspace and nothing about htis gig at all, seems to me a lack of communician from the promoter here........
Bratby
Bratby
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

http://bratby.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob - The Kontours Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:09 am

seems it might well be a case of he said she said and a lapse in promotion...fair play to you tho Bratby mate setting the record straight... Communication is a wonderfull thing for sure.
Hope you noticed i had reubens cane back there too... Smile look forward to what resurects from ruebens

Rob - The Kontours
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevo Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:51 am

Apologies to you Bratby & everyone else from Reubens Cane, I didn't promote this gig, had nothing to do with it bar play on the bill, obviously I do know the promoter. Maybe I mis-heard as Errol said he had spoken to someone from RC about the gig (Dave or Andy?) recently & he said RC weren't happy about the time slot? Obviously he was told something like you couldn't play as you'd split but he decided you didn't want to play that early. He gets his wires crossed alot, bless him he's getting old.

I do remember him asking members of RC about playing this gig months ago after the Taylor Johns House gig we did together to which they agreed & he had taken contact numbers. If you knew Errol at all you would understand the confusion, we tell him things and sometimes they don't sink in for years........

Sorry, I didn't know you had split, shame as I enjoyed your music that gig (maybe a little fast tho'....... Wink)

Stevo
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevo Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:55 am

Bratby wrote:I've checked our email/myspace and nothing about htis gig at all, seems to me a lack of communician from the promoter here........

Errol doesn't do myspace or emails, good old face to face & telephone calls, he would have got Dave Medford or Andy's phone numbers after the gig at TJH and contacted them by phone only.

Stevo
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevo Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:37 pm

Bratby wrote:soooo where the fuck did you hear this seeing as we've split and I've checked our email/myspace and nothing about htis gig at all, seems to me a lack of communician from the promoter here........
Hopefully my last word on the subject, having checked your myspace & facebook pages, as well as here & Covscene, I cannot find any mention of Reubens Cane splitting up apart from this quote from yourself. So how would I, or the promoter, know?

Stevo
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stan_da_man Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:50 am

Shame about the bands pulling out, SYP would have loved to play this. Got to laugh though about the work thing though. Very Happy

About Reubens Cane - I too haven't read anywhere that they split up so I don't think the promoter is entirely to blame but saying that, I had a gig last year at the Campbell but that never happened due to the promoter messing the bands around...

Stan_da_man
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

http://www.twitter.com/TommyStanski

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob - The Kontours Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:51 am

think the lesson here for all is communication...the art of promotion has to be keeping intouch with the wider scene...i knew about the split three/four weeks ago so whilst the good people of ruebens cane might not have flown a banner above the city to advertise the fact theyld split, it has been somewhat common knowlege.
Nowdays we all have to maximise our use of technology and all media sources to keep up to date...sadly and no disrespect but 'old skool' promotion styles and methods are just that old skool....the world moves on. With the exception of the obvious hitches the event went off in honour of one of the city's good guys and by all acounts dun him proud.

Rob - The Kontours
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevo Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:17 am

Different promoter there Stan. And you are right, communication is a two way thing....

Stevo
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevo Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:25 am

To be honest we rehearse at Pickc n styx & heardn't heard anything, the posters have been up for about a month & nobody said RC had split, including Mike who usually knows all. The gig was advertised on facebook Rob & I wouldn't call mobile phones 'Old skool'. I know of a lot of band members that don't read emails as I get frustrated in organising gigs myself.

Stevo
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob - The Kontours Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:16 am

one to put down to experience then eh...such is life. On the upside altough i was unable to attend the event by all accounts it went well.

Rob - The Kontours
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Martin Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:07 pm

Fook all to do with me (so I'll duck in and out quickly to avoid any crossfire) but I heard almost 2 months ago that Reubens Cane were splitting or indeed had split.
Proximity of ear to ground? Wink
Martin
Martin
Groupie
Groupie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:47 am

i thought it was pretty common knowledge that RC had unfortunately split.

Rig
Scene-ster
Scene-ster

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevo Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:10 am

Apparently not too common, it's a shame I liked the music. I think Errol was understanding about RC, it was the two bands that approached him to play & were added last to the bill that caused him most problems, then they didn't bother to show up. After a little slagging off on the facebook page Sad

Stevo
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandeep Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:01 am

I didn't know they had split, but I read on facebook that Dave was living in London and I thought that would make practices difficult.

Mandeep
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down