Cov Music Scene.co.uk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Godiva Unsigned

+13
Ray
rich_rider
godiva_dave
Dale Hermit
FatChamp
Swain0
Idle Dan L
shackletons
Jigster
Sound Foundry
Rig
ScholarOfBabylon
Electric Slim
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Topic Re: Godiva Unsigned

Post by shackletons Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:05 am

still no news on it what they plain at.

shackletons
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Idle Dan L Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:41 am

Yep, still waiting too. I figure they were late letting people know whether they got into the top 40, maybe they're running behind on this too. just want to know either way.

I'm currently waiting for my new orange bass amp to come in the post too. ordered it "next day delivery" a week last Thursday. needless to say I'm going a bit mental.

Idle Dan L
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

http://www.myspace.com/idleplaythings

Back to top Go down

Post by ScholarOfBabylon Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:27 pm

Dudes, go here they posted the bands up http://www.godivafestival.co.uk/community/godivaunsigned/

As i predicted barring one or two, most of the bands are relatively unknown to most people and for the most part not from Coventry.
ScholarOfBabylon
ScholarOfBabylon
Scene-ster
Scene-ster

http://www.reverbnation.com/scholarofbabylon

Back to top Go down

Post by Electric Slim Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:01 pm

No Shakletons or Idle Playthings

Rediculous
Electric Slim
Electric Slim
Scene-ster
Scene-ster

Back to top Go down

Post by Swain0 Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:25 pm

I think it'll be nice to see a bit of a different line up. Mix it up a bit...
Swain0
Swain0
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

http://www.iwearglasses.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Rig Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:32 pm

i'm looking forward to Birmingham opening up all their best gigs to us too! be nice to get some good gigs over there without having to take a bus load of people

Arcadian Kicks will win

Rig
Scene-ster
Scene-ster

Back to top Go down

Post by FatChamp Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:49 pm

a bit of sick just came up into my mouth and went back down again reading that shortlist.

FatChamp
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dale Hermit Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:04 pm

unbelievable...
Dale Hermit
Dale Hermit
Scene-ster
Scene-ster

http://www.kinghermit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shackletons Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:58 pm

lets all bend over for CVONE!

shackletons
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by shackletons Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:04 pm

they shud move memorial park in a big chopper over to by the bullring. fuckin brummy flids.

shackletons
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by shackletons Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:08 pm

makes me laf sum of the bands r pre signed and had major uk fests even BMG labels! and young bands like say i dunno... errrr electric slim r gaspin to make a name for emself and they get ignored for these who the fuck ru brummy bands?

bullshit.

over n out godiva they support local trades, the fuckin motor museum n covs heritage and local scout groups... what do we get? fuck all. fuck cvone. all they do is ignore coventry. wankers.

can anyone here tell me if they joined the applications?

im running a night 4th july friday night tjs house. dole club. gonna be class. 6 bands. half naked beer pourers.

i need to know u applyed u must be from cov

cheers

shackletons
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by FatChamp Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:07 am

we applied

FatChamp
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Idle Dan L Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:39 am

oh Balls!

It may have been a lot to ask to get in the top twenty considering we've only been gigging for about 6 months and are probably only just hitting double figures on gigs done.

Regardless of that I do think it's a bit poor that they didn't send out an email to the 20 bands that didn't get through. Bad manners in my view.

Idle Dan L
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

http://www.myspace.com/idleplaythings

Back to top Go down

Post by Electric Slim Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:28 am

Slim want in on the dole
Electric Slim
Electric Slim
Scene-ster
Scene-ster

Back to top Go down

Post by godiva_dave Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:36 am

The Godiva Festival is the Midlands largest free family festival, so we want to give the opportunity for bands across the region to participate in the unsigned competition.

We recognise that the festival is based in Coventry but our focus is to encourage visitors into the city and
put Coventry firmly on the map. By opening the competition to the Midland's region we are not only encouraging talent but encouraging visitors to come and support the festival.

All entries were listened to by a panel of judges from throughout the region with each track having no identifiable marks to avoid bias - i.e. track names, band names, band locations. They were purely listened to and marked on merit and the shortlisted applicants went through to the next stage.

godiva_dave
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by rich_rider Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:43 am

FatChamp wrote:a bit of sick just came up into my mouth and went back down again reading that shortlist.

Cheers Godiva Unsigned - Page 2 Icon_wink .

rich_rider
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Electric Slim Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:47 am

Who plays should be a public vote. Not just down to the musical taste and opinion of a select group.

Next year you'll probably have to pay to get in, then it will have lost all of its soul.
Electric Slim
Electric Slim
Scene-ster
Scene-ster

Back to top Go down

Post by ScholarOfBabylon Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:31 am

godiva_dave wrote:The Godiva Festival is the Midlands largest free family festival, so we want to give the opportunity for bands across the region to participate in the unsigned competition.

We recognise that the festival is based in Coventry but our focus is to encourage visitors into the city and
put Coventry firmly on the map. By opening the competition to the Midland's region we are not only encouraging talent but encouraging visitors to come and support the festival.

All entries were listened to by a panel of judges from throughout the region with each track having no identifiable marks to avoid bias - i.e. track names, band names, band locations. They were purely listened to and marked on merit and the shortlisted applicants went through to the next stage.

So Birmingham, Tamworth, Leamington, Rugby, etc, did they help fund this event then? or were you soley funded by Coventry city council?
ScholarOfBabylon
ScholarOfBabylon
Scene-ster
Scene-ster

http://www.reverbnation.com/scholarofbabylon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:07 am

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, until there can be a clear and transparent message to the entrants regarding the judging of the shortlist process, it's always going to be scrutinised. And whereas CV-One's brilliant marketing attempt at spanning the radius of the festival goers increases, I can certainly say that a massive core of Coventry based bands have helped the festival get to where it is today. That's not hearsay, that's a fact. And because of this fact, it's easy to see why some folks are pissed.

Doing a quick recky with these shortlisted bands, I'll tell you now that there's some utter dross & tripe, a cacophony of shite compared to what Coventry is producing, or can produce. And that's not a bold stick-your-neck-out statement, it's a warranted comment from a musician who's heard a plethora of bands from the region over the last five years.

Who are these judges, show us the judging criteria. Please don't sit there all prim from behind your TFT and say the judging process wasn't biased. I'd hazard a guess that 60-70% of the entrants where Cov based. You can all do the maths there.

The bottom line here is CV-One are putting revenue raising elements above the city's creative heritage and history, so Dale's quite rightly pointed out that the city's charter is draped in hypocrisy. We even had bands not enter this year because of this suspected sanctominious insincerity, and low & behold!!

My 2p

Ray
Admin
Admin

http://www.zeuscomputing.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by shackletons Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:14 am

ray u speak v wise words pal x

shackletons
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by shackletons Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:15 am

slim uv been pmd my friends of purple shirts x

shackletons
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:23 am

Mate, it grates me.. When you consider CV-One will charge you £2'000 to park up a burger van on the field for the weekend, but won't sponser the local music scene, it does make you wonder

Ray
Admin
Admin

http://www.zeuscomputing.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by shackletons Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:30 am

they have lost the soul they prob never had

shackletons
One Hit Wonder
One Hit Wonder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dale Hermit Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:23 pm

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is that TWO out of four heats are in Birmingham, these "heats" are big sources of revenue for venues in OUR city and they are also losing out.

And if the competition is Midlands based then why hasn't Tamworth, Rugby, Nuneaton, Leamington...etc got a heat instead of two going to Birmingham?
Dale Hermit
Dale Hermit
Scene-ster
Scene-ster

http://www.kinghermit.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sound Foundry Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:24 pm

godiva_dave wrote:The Godiva Festival is the Midlands largest free family festival, so we want to give the opportunity for bands across the region to participate in the unsigned competition.

The comment I have highlighted in bold.......

Surely the acts that you book at great expense to the taxpayer as 'headliners' are booked in order to attract visitors from outside the area? Are they not there because of their 'pulling power'?

If these expensive acts cannot attract visitors, why are WE paying for them. I say WE because wherever the funding is sourced, it always starts by coming out of OUR wages.

So, are you saying that where these expensive acts are obviously failing, a load of Brummy acts are going to succeed by bringing far more people to the festival than some of our very high quality Cov bands?

I suggest a new name - from here on in I will refer to Godiva Unsigned as Brumstock.

For laying your cards on the table and giving a big two finger salute to this city's musicians I will quote a leading icon of the local music scene ( Godiva Unsigned - Page 2 Icon_lol ) and say "Thanks CVOne"
Sound Foundry
Sound Foundry
Admin
Admin

http://www.thesoundfoundry.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next